News on electronic-attack drones, UAV pilot training and more. Read the Alert
Government auditors have flagged what they consider substandard training of Army drone pilots, including a lack of flying hours by operators, little sensitivity about the issue by unit leaders and opaque readiness reporting to headquarters.
Officials are determining whether the Army's future electronic-attack weapon will be outfitted on a drone sized for a brigade or one serving a division, according to the ground service's electronic-warfare chief.
The Senate Armed Services Committee is setting the stage for a conference debate by directing the Navy to extend the Navy's Unmanned Combat Air System-Demonstrator program, according to the panel's mark submitted last week.
- DOD Eying Challenge-Based Pilot That Could Help Test Swarming Systems
- UCLASS Schedule, Design Revisited If Additional Requirements Are Set
- Global Hawk Approved For Milestone C After Years Of Instability
- Lawmakers Want Air Force To Consider Enlisted, Civilian RPA Pilots
- Army Considering Hellfire Missile For New Air-Defense Role
- DOD Eyes Technologies To Enable Pilots To Control Multiple UAS At Once
- GAO Calls On Navy, DOD To Submit UCLASS Report Once Requirements Are Finalized
- House Panel Eyes Long-Term Plans For Army's Deadly Mini-Drones
- Influential House Lawmaker Would Like Navy To Continue UCAS-D Testing
- French Air Force Reapers Flying More Often Than Expected
- Navy Completes First-Ever Unmanned Air-To-Air Refueling
- Lawmakers Have Not Been Briefed On UCLASS, Call For Requirements Doc
- Lawmakers Ask Army For Armed Aerial Scout Plans Past Apache And Shadow UAS Teams
- Sierra Nevada Acquires Kutta
- House Authorizers Want Plan To Integrate Advanced Tech Into War Games
- Army To Begin Flight Tests In Shadow Drone Engine Development
- X-47B Engages Drogue, Will Pass Fuel In Next Air-To-Air Refueling Test
- SOCOM Releases RFP For Mid-Endurance UAS ISR Services
The Navy's top submarine commander would like the service to have a separate funding account for rapid development programs and take a venture-capitalist approach to spending that money.
- Senate Authorizers' FY-15 Defense Policy Bill, Report
- Senate Committee's Summary Of The FY-15 Defense Policy Bill
- Army Sources-Sought Notice On Ground Vehicle Technologies
- House Armed Services Committee's FY-15 Defense Authorization Bill
- House Bill On Pivot To Asia-Pacific
- DARPA Broad Agency Announcement For CODE
- DOD's 'Open Business Model For Unmanned Aircraft Ground Control Systems'
- DOD's December 2013 Selected Acquisition Report Summary
InsideDefense.com's Unmanned Systems Alert is the only independent news source covering the U.S. military's growing complement of unmanned systems. Tapping the editorial excellence of Inside the Pentagon, Inside the Air Force, Inside the Army, Inside the Navy and InsideDefense.com, our Unmanned Systems Alert keeps readers up to speed on unmanned aerial, ground and undersea systems, budgets, policies and more. Read more about Unmanned Systems Alert
One-year subscriptions to Unmanned Systems Alert start at just $300 per person, and economical site licenses are available for larger groups. To subscribe, or for more information, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our customer service department at 703-416-8505.