News on drone exports, Australian airmen training to fly Reapers and more. Read the Alert
The Obama administration last week approved increasing the export of armed drones to U.S. allies, potentially setting the stage for a surge in the sale of unmanned aerial systems from American defense contractors, according to a fact sheet released by the State Department.
The United States is training Australian airmen to operate the General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper and five airmen are already stationed at Holloman Air Force Base, NM, to receive pilot and sensor operator instruction, the Australian government has announced.
The Army plans to craft this year a new strategy document for the service's future use of unmanned systems, according to a top service official.
- Air Force Determined To Train ISR Groups For High-End Fight Despite Cuts
- FAA Unveils Draft Small UAS Rule
- DOD Recently Began Evaluating UCLASS As Part Of Larger Review
- Navy Evaluating If X-47B Will Perform Aerial Refueling Demo In FY-15
- DARPA Seeks Millions For New Project That Teams Manned Aircraft, UAVs
- Army Wants Radios To Connect Previously Purchased Unmanned Systems
- Air Force Stretches Out Development Of RPA Sense-And-Avoid System
- Forbes Argues For X-47B Extension Due To UCLASS Fielding Delays
- Air Force Revises ISR Force Structure Plans In FY-16 Budget
- Army Budget Request Pushes Plan For Ground Robots With Guns
- Air Force To Order Reaper Targeting Sensors From Raytheon
- State Department Clears Proposed Reaper Sale To The Netherlands
- Rep. Forbes Satisfied With Navy's Updated UCLASS Requirements
- Air Force Wants To Buy Seven More Reapers
- Navy Wants To Buy Seven RQ-21A Blackjacks
- Scientific Panel Hopes To Inform Future Quantum, RPA Systems
- HII Acquires Columbia Group Division
- Raytheon Acquires Unmanned Systems Company
Nearly three years after the Pentagon canceled a multibillion-dollar airborne laser program designed to intercept a ballistic missile soon after it is launched, the Missile Defense Agency is pursuing a new, boost-phase program that will mount a small laser on a high-altitude unmanned aerial vehicle.
- Senate Authorizers' FY-15 Defense Policy Bill, Report
- Senate Committee's Summary Of The FY-15 Defense Policy Bill
- Army Sources-Sought Notice On Ground Vehicle Technologies
- House Armed Services Committee's FY-15 Defense Authorization Bill
- House Bill On Pivot To Asia-Pacific
- DARPA Broad Agency Announcement For CODE
- DOD's 'Open Business Model For Unmanned Aircraft Ground Control Systems'
- DOD's December 2013 Selected Acquisition Report Summary
InsideDefense.com's Unmanned Systems Alert is the only independent news source covering the U.S. military's growing complement of unmanned systems. Tapping the editorial excellence of Inside the Pentagon, Inside the Air Force, Inside the Army, Inside the Navy and InsideDefense.com, our Unmanned Systems Alert keeps readers up to speed on unmanned aerial, ground and undersea systems, budgets, policies and more. Read more about Unmanned Systems Alert
One-year subscriptions to Unmanned Systems Alert start at just $300 per person, and economical site licenses are available for larger groups. To subscribe, or for more information, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our customer service department at 703-416-8505.